Saturday, March 27, 2010

To Be Like Don

Today we went to a wake to celebrate a life. The person who passed was a stepfather to friend's of ours Pastor Mike and Patty French. I would like to tell you about Don for he was one who lived his faith. We met Don about 15 years ago. We were going through a hard time and were attending Pastor Mike's church. During this time we were without a church, my husband is also a Pastor. To top off our problems my husband lost his left foot due to diabetes. I and the children went to leave for church and the car would not start. I was pretty upset as at this time it was our only car. I called my husband at the hospital and he said, Marna I am flat on my back I can't do anything about it. I called Bro. Mike and he said they would pick me up for church in the evening. I arived at church and by this time most everyone had heard the news. Don came up to me and said I could borrow his car. For the next three weeks I used Don's car to get back and forth to the hospital and for our other needs. Another man from church came and worked on our car, and someone else came and put up railings so my husband could walk up the stairs in the house. By the time my husband came home I was able to get him in our own car and get him into the house. A few weeks later our washer went out. Once again Don came to our aid and bought us a washer. After many weeks of therapy and prayer my husband learned to walk again on his new leg. Tonight at Don's wake I was told many other stories of things Don had done for others through the years. Whenever Don did something for others he would say, Don't tell anyone I did anything, I don't want anyone to know about this. I share this with you because we are in a time when we all need to be a Don. There are people all around us who need help. Could you be a Don? Could you pick up someone and take them to the Dr? Could you buy someone a coat or some shoe's. I recently bought a family paper and school supplies. There are people all around us who need help. Who will be a Don and take his place? We all need to help one another through these troubled times. We need to be not so self centered and be more aware of other's needs. We need to be a Don.

Don, we thank you for your example and we will miss you. God help us to be more like Don.
God Bless you Don. Marna

No comments:

Post a Comment