Monday, May 30, 2011

Randy And Me and Sputnik Make Three Cont.

Coming out of Mexico we spent time in Arizona and New Mexico.  It was hot and we rode with the windows down. I had paper dolls cut out and sometimes they would blow out the windows. I sat on the right and Randy sat on the left. There was a dividing line and woe to him that crossed without permission. I also had a large comic book with the life of Teddy Roosevelt. I can still remember things about him to this day. We stopped pretty much anywhere we wanted in the camper and sometimes we stopped at camp grounds so I could swim. Dad bought me an Indian Doll with a beautiful beaded white dress. And don't tell anyone, but sometimes Randy and I would sleep in the camper while we were driving. Coming back to go into California we were stopped and told we had to get rid of any fruit coming into the state. We had bought a lot
of oranges and had to eat them before crossing. Dad headed for the coastal road that goes along the Pacific.

One of our first stops was Fisherman's Wharf. Here we had shrimp and other delicacies at a Chinese place. The table was full of food and we were sitting by the ocean. We continued up this road. It travels sometimes right on the ocean edge and sometimes a little way in. It also is sometimes even with the coast or rises hundreds of feet above. We were on our way to the Red Wood Forest. There was a camping area to the right of the road and my parents thought it looked good to stop. I was allowed to walk over the road to the other side. The cliffs went straight down, it was quite a sight. I came back and was helping with dinner when suddenly mother let out a ear piercing scream. She realized Randy was gone. The immediate reaction of the campers was to run across the road and look down. My heart was in my throat as I realized Randy could have gone over the edge. It was a long hard half hour or so, before he was found. The campers scoured the country side. Finally someone brought him to my mother. This was not the first time he had done this on the trip, but even my Dad was rattled. They bought one of those harness's that were popular at the time and unfortunately for Randy he had to be contained. That night everyone sitting around the fires talked of Sputnik coming around. We sat there a long time waiting for it to come into view. Some saw it. I think I saw it once. The next morning Dad bought a newspaper and read the story to me. I saw the picture of Sputnik. Man had entered space.

No comments:

Post a Comment