Friday, November 5, 2010

Are Riches The True Test Of Success?

Recently I was listening to a person on a talk show telling about the women candidates who are extremely successful. I knew this person was mainly talking about women successful making large amounts of money because she was referring to two Republican candidates who had contributed a lot of money to their own campaign. But, this led me thinking about a sermon my husband had once delivered on what really is success. Is a person successful only because they make a lot of money?
We have known many rich people in the ministry. We have been in their homes and on a few occasions they have remarked to my husband, "I would give anything to have kids like yours."
I was once envious of a friend who had no children and  a career. I sometimes would go shopping with her and was amazed how much money she spent on clothes. I remember coming home one time and complaining to him about his salary. I feel bad about that now. I was recently with this friend and to my amazement she said she had always been envious of me as pastor's wife and our three children. I had no idea she even looked at me this way.
What is success? If you had listened to my husband he would have given this illustration of true success. A successful  person is one who raises adult children who are responsible adults raising their children. A successful person is a person who teaches their children family values, and to try to live right obeying laws. A successful person is one whose adult children follow your example and take their children to church, a  place of worship, or synagogue.
What is success? It is how you measure it. Money the bible says, "Thy money perishes with you." Acts8:20 KJV  It is temporal and I like to think something God gives you to get you from here to heaven. Yes, we need it, but I feel American's spent far too much time thinking how to get it and what to do with it once they get it. But children go on from generation to generation. What kind of successful person are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment