Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Well, this is our first thanksgiving without our Dad and husband. I was thinking this morning  just how much I would wish he could come back for just a little while. I am not saying this to make you sad for us. But I want you to really take time today and tomorrow to think about those special people in your lives and to be thankful you have the time over the holidays to be with them. Put family problems aside and dwell on the fact that you have each other. I think about all the silly things we quibbled about that mean absolutely nothing to me now. They seem trivial in light of losing our special person who was the light of our family. Oh, he wasn't perfect and he did things that aggravated all of us. But none of that mattes now. What matters was that he loved his family and sacrificed for us. Like the new coat he bought me last Christmas we didn't really have the money for. Now it is a treasure to me. In fact the last few years he bought rather extravagant gifts for all of us and we think he probably knew he wasn't going to be here much longer. I can look back at it and see it now. I would give anything for him to walk in the house and just sit and talk even for a few minutes. One day someone walked up the front stairs of our house and I actually thought it was him coming home. And I am just saying this. Take time this thanksgiving with your family. Listen to Grandpa tell his stories. Listen to your mom with her problems and put up with those relatives that simply drive you nuts. Listen to your brother  or sister and try to understand what they are going though right now. And take time to hug the kids and maybe play a game with them. Who knows? Maybe someone in your family will not be there next year. Be thankful for the family God has given you. And be thankful for our freedom some soldier gave his or her life for this year. God Bless America

No comments:

Post a Comment