Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Randy and Me Last Segment Randall Neil Ritchie Dec.18,1953-June 6, 2009

Continuing on up the coastal road we finally came to the Red Wood Forest. And there Dad was right, a tree we could drive the car through. These gigantic trees are really unforgettable. We hit a little before Christmas and were told about the yule log that is lit up and goes over Yosemite Falls. We stayed here the longest time of all and camped in several places. I remember running and playing until late at night and then Dad would build a big fire. Somewhere there was a park with swings, and lots of trails. But most of all the amazing trees. I liked this area the most, because we were free to run and play. There weren't that many quests this time of year, but of course there are bears and one time when we came home they were going along the camp ground trying to find crumbs. They went away the minute they saw the car. But this was a signal to Mom and Dad we needed to move on. I remember crying when we left the big trees and watching them disappear  from the back window as we drove away. I can see this quite clear in my mind even today, I didn't want to leave.

There was talk in the car about going up into Canada, but they decided another time. We did do this several years later. We went up into Oregon and saw Crater Lake. I remember the water was very blue and Dad said the lake was very deep. We camped a short time and decided to come back into California. On our way back we hit a very bad stretch of road going up hill. They were working on paving this area. but some of it was still dirt roads. Randy and I were in the trailer sleeping, or trying to sleep. The trailer was slanted and you could hear Dad having some trouble with the road. It started raining very hard. I wanted our parents, this was a little scary. You could tell Dad was having a hard time making it up the steep slope. We hit something, a rut or whatever and all this stuff started falling on us. Our parents had stored items up above us. The door came open and everything started falling on us. Finally I had it and used the big flashlight Dad had given to make a signal. I was flashing it like crazy trying to get their attention. Dad came and we got in the car. They made a new rule, no more sleeping in the trailer while traveling.We drove all night and I remember waking up and my mother was upset. I was only eight, but I kind of realized the problem.

Dad had been driving a long time, trying to get us as close to L.A. as he could but we were still pretty far. Mom was wanting to stop because it was getting towards evening. Finally, Dad got out of the car mad. Dad did have a flash temper. Although he never harmed me with it. But it was scary at times. My mother turned to me and told me there was no money left. Dad had used it all up on the trip. Today was Randy's birthday and she wanted us to stop and eat. Even though I was pretty little, I understood pretty well what she was telling me and I was scared.

Dad returned, and had a little bag. I have told this story before. Dad opened the bag and inside were Hostess Twinkie cupcakes and some candles. Dad took the candles and stuck them in the cupcakes. We all laughed. We lit the candles and sang Happy Birthday to Randy. I always remember this birthday although Randy had many more and much nicer. And how Dad taught us you really don't have to have very much to have a birthday. He had also bought some cheap toys and Randy and I played with them until we stopped for the night.

The next few months we ended up living right along the ocean, where we could play in the ocean every day. Dad finally had to call my Grandmother and she sent us money to come back to Denver. She was furious when she found out I had been out of school for most of the year. She went and put me in school. But I was too far behind and had to take the year over the next year.

Dad is right, I remember this year of my childhood more than any other part and have had the memories of this trip in my heart and now finally get to share it with other's. Maybe it was right, maybe it was wrong, but I have learned as an adult, sometimes you have to throw fate to the wind and take off and do something you never dreamed you could do. I think that is what my Dad did, and I am glad for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment