Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Article Written For My Husband by Marna Meyer Mokena Messenger Sept. 23, 2010

A Tribute to My Husband Pastor Robert Meyer


My husband was born on the south side of Chicago. He was raised near the corner of 63rd and Mozart. His parents were Richard and Dorothy Meyer. Called Dick, he was an locomotive engineer. After graduating from Harper High School he went to Denver Baptist Bible College. After two years attending the college we met. We met on a blind date, and as they say I've been blind ever since. During his lifetime he pastored five churches. Mokena Baptist church was his last church.

Our first church was in Silt, Colo. About twenty miles west of Glenwood Springs, Colo. He pastored there for five years, 1974 to1979. Then he received a call to a church in Chicago. It was always his dream to pastor in Chicago. We came here in Sept,1979. He pastored the first Baptist Church of Palos Hills for 81/2 wonderful years. After that we pastored in Wichita, Kansas for a short time. Then we returned to Mokena were we ministered at the Mokena Baptist Church for the last nine years.

Pastor loved baseball, especially the Sox. He also loved the Bears. We have enjoyed our time here in Mokena. We especially like Denny's and Steak and Shake.

I am glad we chose to serve in the ministry.We have been alble to help a lot of people and lead them to know Christ better. My father once said it is the only thing worth wile, and now that I am older I understand what he meant. I hope you have enjoyed the Pastor's column. He enjoyed writing them. My husband was a special person and he will be missed by many. God Bless You. Marna Meyer

No comments:

Post a Comment