Thursday, September 9, 2010

You Never Know What a Day May Bring Forth

We thought we had it licked. Yesterday my husband and I had a little celebration dinner in the hospital room. Things were looking better. We were looking forward to going to the rehab unit together, after six days in the intensive care unit. We decided to go ourselves instead of a medi-car. My husband was a little uncomfortable but we got there about 8:30PM. They put him in his room and we put the Sox game on and I gave him his paper. He seemed OK and I put some things away. I left and said I will see you tomorrow. I went home happy and glad we were out of the hospital. I came home and rested. Morning came with chores and getting some clothes for him. I saw the rehab was calling. I called them back. The person on the phone said he wasn't in his bed. I said he really wasn't quite that well to be up and around. His nurse came on the phone and said they had taken him back to the hospital. He had taken a turn for the worse. He was declining quickly. I ran to the car and went to the hospital. I called all three kids as I drove. Entering the emergency room they said he was there, they would get his nurse. This did not sound good to me. His male nurse came and said "I'm sorry, he passed away in the ambulance." I was stunned. I just wanted to find him and be with him. I just wanted to tell him I always loved him. But he was gone. Yes, our father and grandfather was gone and the church's Pastor. The day turned into a myriad of phone calls and e-mails. People crying on the phone. I never realized how much they loved their Pastor. Here I was hurting and yet I was trying to comfort them. This is how our 42 year marriage ended. He is with God, out of pain, no more prosthetics, no more battle with diabetes. He's free. I am at peace. I know this is better for him. Where did the years go? I am glad we chose ministry for our lives. I am glad the path we took. We did the right thing, we made the right decisions and we served five churches. You never know what a day may bring forth. The Meyer's

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. He was indeed loved by many. He was a huge influence in my life as a teen, as the Pastor who married us, and many times when I just needed to have a cheerful word or to use someone to run things by. He always gave me the benefit of the doubt. I will miss him greatly. I am so thankful for you both and for your faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete