Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A Little Brother's Love Cont

The next day Thursday I arrived at the trailer and Randy was a little better. He wanted to continue with his list of items he wanted done. So we traveled on. One thing about living in Decono you drive a lot to get anything done.  He held up a little better today and when we got done with errands we actually went out to eat. This was very encouraging to me. And I began thinking maybe things would get better. We went to Randy's bank and one of his friends was there.
The shock on his face told me he knew Randy was pretty sick. Randy told him what was wrong and that he hoped to have maybe a year left to live. I doubted this but let Randy think what he wants, maybe he will fight harder to stay here. Then he wanted a certain ice cream and so I drove to Safeway, Kingsoopers and a little country store but no one had the ice cream. I said I would look tomorrow when I was in Westminster.  Randy was disappointed and I did want to do everything I could for what time he did have left. We went back to the trailer and Randy rested, and here I was again trying to find something to do. I went outside and took a walk when a neighbor called me over.  She asked me about Randy and I just said  he was not very well. Then she started to go on. You know she said I knew your Dad. My husband and he became pretty good friends as they were both truck drivers. That wasn't Dad's main career but his brother got him into truck driving. We really liked Bob and it was very hard on my husband when your Dad died.  She went on for quite a while, and it made me feel very good about Dad and that he was happy here making a new life after the divorce.  Dad and I used to talk about enterprising things for him to do. Dad built a house once practically by himself and drew up the plans. In fact there are a lot of house plans at my mother's house if I could ever get my hands on them. It has always been a dream of mine to have one of these houses built. So we talked about him fixing up older homes and selling them, what they call  flipping now. And we were about to do it when Dad found out he was ill.  They gave us three months for Dad to live, he lasted seven months. Randy and Dad died of the same thing, smoking. I might have them both except for this. I hate smoking.  I went back and rested and then in the evening Randy and I sat outside on the patio until sunset, talking about Mom and Dad, riding our bicycles, living in the mountains, and especially what heaven was like. Randy said heaven would be like a second start for him and I said yes it would be.  I drove back to Jan's a little more encouraged never suspecting what tomorrow would bring...continuing tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment