Friday, June 4, 2010

A Little Brother's Love Randall Neil Ritchie Dec.18,1953-June 6,2009

The next morning I awoke early because I really didn't sleep well. I talked with the nurse and she said Randy was OK. I said I needed to go to Westminster and get some clothes. I thought I would be at the hospital several more days.  I left and drove to Jan's as fast as possible. I told her quickly what had happened and then packed a few things in a bag and drove back to Greeley.  I arrived a little before noon. I walked in and they had been trying to get hold of me. Randy was failing very quickly. I really wasn't ready for this, but nobody is. His breathing was much worse and he was pretty doped up thankfully. I felt bad I had spent that time going back to Jan's but it was no use thinking about should have done's.That is what I did. As they say and your here now.  A nurse came in. She had been there the night before. She walked in and said "I think God led you and Randy here." I said, "yes he was leading us all the time I just didn't see it." I was so thankful for these wonderful people.  Another nurse came in and said she had been with Randy through the night. Randy told her he was a trucker and her husband was a trucker. She said Randy and she talked for some time and then he finally rested.  Then they asked me why we were so far from home when Randy was so sick and I told them about the quit claim deed on the trailer. Randy wanted to get the trailer in my name. I had the deed sitting on the table. We were coming to the county seat.  They said do you still need it signed? I said yes but Randy was probably too ill to sign it.  The nurse went over and shook Randy and said pretty loudly, Randy, do you want your sister to have the deed signed? With all his strength he said,  "yes." I was shocked he could still talk. She asked him the question again  and he said, "yes."With all the might he could muster up to speak. The hospital went to town to find a notary. They usually have one on hand, but it was a Sunday. Actually I am a notary, but I can only sign in Illinois and you can't notarize for yourself. I was concerned because I knew the shape he was in he would not be able to sign his name. They did finally find a notary. And we talked about the signature. All you really need is a mark, as long as you witness they made the mark. She also told me it was her first notarization. So we filled out the paperwork together and one nurse would be the witness.  It was hard to get Randy to wake up. We elevated the bed and again the nurse asked Randy if he wanted to do this and he said yes very loudly and we all laughed. Then the notary put the pencil in his hand and placed the deed on a book in front of him. and with all the strength he had left he lifted his hand and made about three or four up and down strokes. The notary said that is all we need and I agreed with her.  A little brother's love, with everything he had left inside of him he wanted me to have the trailer and the land. I will never forget that moment in my mind.  Later that evening Randy passed.  I was at peace and the nurses said for the first time Randy looked at peace. I could not stay it hurt so bad inside. I had to leave and went back to the little motel for the hospice.  I rested there and drove back Sunday morning. It seemed so strange to be driving by a church letting out and thinking that is what I am usually doing at this time.  I stopped by the trailer just to make sure it was safe.  Then I drove back to Jan's. Her and Mike weren't there when I first came back. I just kind of sat there in the darkness of the sunset. Randy was safe in the Father's hands and I could finally rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment