Sunday, May 9, 2010

Opposites Attract- The Preacher and I

How this happens I will never know but it is true opposites do attract. My husband and I are perfect examples. I somehow wonder how a girl from Colorado could ever make it with a kid from Chicago. That is what happened to me, I married a kid from Chicago almost 42 years ago.
I am laid back. He is type A. No, he is type A plus,plus,plus. In fact there is no rest in him. I often tell him he runs through life and I enjoy it. I doubt he has ever seen a rose, let alone take time to smell it. He does know they exist because he has seen one in a book. I will get into the book thing latter, {clue he has a lot of them}
There is no rest in him. He even doesn't rest at night. He's watching TV or reading. I wonder sometimes if he ever rests. I on the other hand require a lot of sleep. I am fairly more normal. However I am not a morning person. I repeat I am not a morning person. I think he finally understands this. He says I have never seen a sunrise. That's not true. On vacations he gets me up at the crack of dawn so we can be the first one on the interstate. We can get hours ahead because there is hardly anyone on the road at this time. This is his reasoning. We are in a competition with the other cars to get to the state line first. He must and will conqueror this state. I on the other hand just want to enjoy my vacation. I am a fairly normal person.
He explains he wants to get to the state line by noon. This is his goal. When we start he checks to see if I have gone to the bathroom and get myself a drink because we must conqueror this state. I on the other hand am a fairly normal person who would just like to enjoy the trip. I say to him "does anyone care if we conqueror this state?" We are only on vacation. We are supposed to be resting and taking it easy. He says we are an hour later than we should be as we took too much time looking for a restaurant. We couldn't agree on that either.
He says it is two o'clock and we will be late. "Be late for what?" I ask. "Is anyone waiting for us at the state line?" "What are we late for? We are on vacation,"I reply in a fairly normal way.
Is there going to be a large crowd of people waiting for us at the motel?" "No one knows we are late except you." This is all in his mind. I try to reason with him. I try to explain he needs to relax. Take it easy. But easy is not in his vocabulary and he has a large one. He knows many big words and I don't often know what he is talking about. It's hard to argue with someone who uses big words because you really don't know what they have said to come back at them. It's not even fair and why do opposites attract anyway. Marna

No comments:

Post a Comment